The project “East African Higher Education Network on Sustainable and Energy Efficient Campus Development” (SUCCEED) is co-financed by the European Commission through the ACP Edulink programme.
SUCCEED aims to promote East Africa Universities campuses as “living laboratories” for sustainability and energy efficiency. Specifically, the project will establish a sustainable campus development platform to foster collaborative learning and action for energy access and efficiency, with the idea of contributing to solve the problems described before.
The East African region experiences unsustainable energy practices which prevent its countries from reaching acceptable standards of socio economic development. Most recent EC Country Strategy Papers state common problems in these countries:
- Lack of regional and national policies on energy efficiency (EE) and renewable energy (RE) that match the decision maker’s decision and the society needs,
- Poor infrastructures to produce, store and distribute energy in a more sustainable way,
- Lack of professionals trained in EE and RE.
Due to the innovative nature of this field (especially RE), universities, as providers of research and education, can play a crucial role in overcoming these problems.
Overall objective: To promote East African university campuses as “living laboratories” for sustainability and energy efficiency (EE)
Specific objective: To establish a sustainable campus development platform to foster collaborative learning and action for energy access and efficiency
Outcomes & Outputs
The project addresses both institutional capacity building and improvements in academic quality and relevance in the region, leading to
- Increased awareness and improved institutional frameworks with regards campus sustainability, with a specific emphasis on energy access and efficiency
- Increased academic cooperation between East African Universities via on line platform on energy efficiency and renewable energy (RE)
- Strengthened cooperation activities in the field of energy between HEIs and relevant public and private stakeholders
- East African Higher Education Network on Sustainable and Energy Efficient Campus Development
- Qualitative outputs achieved and in-time and on-budget successful Project implementation